How to Kill Lice
As you prepare to engage in the war against head lice, let us be your ally in destroying the pesky little buggers! If this is your first go-around with head lice, we recommend you first checkout our Facts of Lice series to get up to speed with the basics. This article is dedicated to understanding HOW TO KILL LICE - including the details about the two main methods for killing lice.
When it comes to lice treatments (or any type of pesticide), there are two main methods for killing lice: CHEMICAL and MECHANICAL.
Chemical Lice Treatment
Chemical lice treatment refers to the use of chemicals to effectively poison lice from the inside-out. When lice ingest, inhale, or absorb these "poisons," the internal chemical reaction causes the lice to die. Traditional over-the-counter products such as RID and Nix use toxic chemicals such as Permethrin and Pyrethrum to poison and kill lice; however, there are two major problems with using toxic chemicals like these:
Two major problems with RID & Nix
1. Permethrin and Pyrethrum can be just as toxic for kids as they are for lice. The FDA has reported several cases of deaths and illnesses linked to the use of toxic lice pesticides.
2. Lice have built up a tolerance for pesticides that us Permethrin and Pyrethrum, therefor these products are no longer fully effective against lice. Some studies suggest that up to 75% of all head lice are now resistant to these chemicals.
Mechanical Lice Treatment
Mechanical lice treatment refers to the physical destruction or removal of lice. Although sometimes more tedious than chemical methods, mechanical lice treatment methods are far more effective at destroying lice for good. Lice may develop resistances to certain chemicals; however, they will never be able to resist being squished, zapped, smothered, or manually removed by the human hand. As and added benefit, mechanical lice treatment allows you to kill lice without using anything that might harm your children - unlike the chemicals used in most over-the-counter chemical solutions.
Advantages of Mechanical Lice Treatment
1. No toxic chemicals (or anything else harmful to children) required.
2. Lice cannot develop a resistance to being squished, zapped, smothered, or removed - unlike their ability to resist chemical pesticides over time.
LiceGuard has been a worldwide authority on killing lice for over 15 years.Since developing the RobiComb in the 1990's, LiceGuard has been dedicated to providing safe and effective products that treat and prevent head lice. All of our treatment products use mechanical treatment methods, which ensures that our products will maintain their effectiveness even against strains of lice that have mutated to resist chemical pesticides.
LiceGuard's RobiComb is an effective tool in identifying and killing head lice on contact. Simply comb the device through clean dry hair. If lice or large eggs are detected, the RobiComb will electrocute them with a small electric pulse that kills the pests but is safe for everyday use on kids. For more detailed instructions on the RobiComb and how to use it, please visit the link below.Learn More
The LiceGuard Lice & Egg Elimination Kit contains everything you need to safely and effectively remove lice, eggs, and nits. Our Lice & Egg Shampoo breaks down the bonds that attach eggs and nits to hair, making it three times easier to comb out all the lice, eggs, and nits. Our professional grade Lice & Egg Comb is tough enough to remove even the most stubborn lice without damaging hair. We even include a magnifying pick tool so that you can locate and remove every last particle.Learn More
Next Steps: PreventionWe can't go back in time and erase the painful memories of our lice outbreak, but we can prevent ourselves from having to battle them again in the future. Though your personal battle with lice is won, remember that you child is likely returning to a still-lice-infested classroom. Use extreme caution in how your child interacts with others. To get some peace of mind, also use preventative measures such as our Lice Repellent Spray.
LiceGuard Lice Repellent Spray is a safe and effective way to prevent your child from getting lice during an outbreak. A few sprays of our concentrated non-toxic solution provides 24-hour protection from lice. It contains no pesticides and is made with natural ingredients that leave behind a pleasant scent. One bottle of Lice Repellent Spray is enough to treat one person for up to 60-days.Learn More
- LiceGuard Webmaster